First Date Tips
4 min read by RussiansBrides | 25.03.2019While there is a myriad of factors influencing the success of a relationship, the very first date should always be taken into account. For many potential couples, the first date is often what makes or breaks the whole relationship. It’s almost impossible to have the first date without any awkward moments at all, but you can definitely do lots of things to plan the perfect first date. Check out some of the most helpful first date tips right now!
Where to go“Where to go on a first date?” is one of the most important questions you’ll need to answer before the big day. There are dozens of interesting options, but the best ones are not always obvious. Wondering how to have a good first date? Make sure your location fits the following criteria:
- It should be somewhat of a novelty for the two of you. If you simply take her to a coffee shop or bar she visits regularly, the date won’t feel that special to her.
- The location for the meetup needs to provide enough opportunities for conversation. Therefore it should be relatively quiet, so that you could hear each other perfectly and didn’t need to shout. It means that a music gig or a big sporting event are hardly good choices.
- Finding first date conversation topics may be challenging even if you’re a natural talker. A busy place for the first date where a lot is going on will give you lots of things to talk about, while a serene location is great for calming your nerves, but not so great as conversation fodder.
- A successful first date shouldn’t be too extravagant or expensive. Helicopter rides and dinners that cost hundreds of dollars not only put your date in an awkward position, but also place you under a threat of spending too much money and not having the relationship go forward.
What to wearOne of the most important dating tips for men you’ll ever get is that you should put extra effort into the way you look. However, it doesn’t automatically mean that you need to wear the most expensive suit and shoes you can find. The clothes you wear will depend on your preferences and the specifics of the date. If it’s a fun night at a bowling alley, there is nothing wrong with your favorite pair of jeans and a cute plaid shirt. A hiking date calls for the most practical clothes and footwear you own. Of course, locations like a fancy restaurant require you to put on the best (and possibly only) suit you have in your closet. Even more importantly, you need to look neat on your first date. The clothes should be absolutely clean and ironed, and your shoes have to be spotless. Sort out your facial hair, wash and style your hair, and make sure you smell nice!
What to talk aboutIn many cases, the location and events of your meetup will give you plenty of things to talk about on a date. Whether it’s a nice dinner, a bowling competition, or an evening at an art gallery, there is a good chance your conversation will flow naturally and soon you will feel like you have known your date for ages. But what if your anxiety got the best of you and you are experiencing a communication block? Or if your date is even less talkative than you and you’re struggling to maintain a lively discussion? Here are 10 first date conversation starters that are always effective:
- Where would you most want to live and why?
- What does your ideal weekend look like?
- Which skills would you like to learn?
- What is your dream job?
- Do you like being spontaneous or planning everything in advance?
- What are your views on tattoos and other body modifications?
- Which three music gigs do you dream of visiting?
- What was your best holiday ever?
- Which desserts would you love to learn how to cook?
- What was the last book/movie that made a lasting impression on you?
First date etiquetteIt seems like we’ve covered every first date advice there is, but there are a few other important tips, otherwise known as the first date etiquette, to know. If you want your first date to go over wonderfully, here are 5 important rules:
- Always show up on your date on time, but not too early — you don’t want to look overly eager.
- Despite the growing feminism movement, women still prefer to go on dates with a gentleman. Hold the door for her, let her sit down first, and pick up the dinner check!
- No matter how tempting it may be, avoid taking your phone out of the pocket during the whole date, unless there is something important you need to show her.
- Eye contact is essential for establishing a rapport between the two of you.
- Be honest about who you are and what you are looking for. You don’t want her to discover the real you after you’ve been together for quite a long time.